Hair that Wraps Around the V10 Rollerhead's Little Wheels - How best to remove? | Dyson Community

Hair that Wraps Around the V10 Rollerhead's Little Wheels - How best to remove?

• 16 December 2022
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1

I love my V10 Dyson. The suction is consistently great. However, the little wheels underneath the rollerhead gather hair that gets wrapped up. This results in the wheels being unable to move which messes up the steering and scuffs my wooden floor.

To clean, I have to slice the hair around the little wheels and pull it out little by little. This is way too time consuming since this has to be done after every few uses.  I feel like the roller head needs a different wheel design.  Either that or create a way for the wheels to pop out for easier cleaning. I can't be the only user who sees this as a major problem. Any suggestions? Is there an alternative roller head replacement?

(Edited by moderator – Tag added) 

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hello @vlollis 

I know exactly the problem spot you’re referring to. These tiny wheels can gather hair as you vacuum, and if they’re left there to accumulate, it can cause an issue with the wheels spinning freely, or even breakage over time. The easiest way to remove those is with tiny sewing scissors, needle nose pliers or even a pair of tweezers. I’ll generally give the underside of my cleaner head a quick glance after a job of vacuuming, and remove any hairs as needed. I find that when there are fewer present, they’re a lot easier to remove.

We hope this was helpful!

Yep. This is certainly a spot I need to check on a regular basis. It doesn’t help that we have a long haired sheep dog. With the amount of hair he sheds it isn’t surprising. I make this part of my weekly once over. Removing hairs from the bar and another place it collects. 

Thankfully the vacuum copes with everything else 😁.

Userlevel 1

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I have 2 Australian Shepherds so hair gets trapped in the wheels too quickly. Having to clean the wheels so often is a major inconvenience.  Even with the right tools, it's at least a 20 min job for me and I get frustrated each and every time i lm picking hair out. I'm so disappointed that dyson has not designed an easier way to pop the wheels off. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@vlollis Have you tried another head type or grooming the two dogo using the v10? 

I picked up their dog kit to help with our long haired lurcher cross. It’s turned a time-consuming chore into something quite relaxing. Pet grooming kit | Dyson. I did a lot of research deciding which tool/kit would be right for the job. I did consider their Advanced cleaning kit | Dyson, but decided against it. I was thinking the hair screw tool might help declutter the hair?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I read this post as part of my research. It’s actually what made me buy the pet kit instead. I wanted to go straight to the source of the hair. Dyson studies the science of pet hair, and how to remove it. | Dyson Community

Userlevel 1

@eagles, thank you. I will consider the pet grooming tool. Maybe the suction will remove additional hair than a regular brush. And im all for addressing the source of hair. My dogs are not crazy about the sound of my v10, even on low. So the groom tool would take some getting used to for them. Right now they try to bite the rollerhead when i vacuum. Haha

I looked at the advanced cleaning hair screw tool. That looks like it's more for carpet and upholstery? The video doesn't show it being used on hardwood floor which is what I have all over the house..and tile in kitchen. 

Again, thank you for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @vlollis

It looks like you’ve already got some valued insight. Certainly along the same lines I would have taken, especially with @Eagles suggesting some the tools and accessories to help with the hair. 

Strangely, we have a similar set up at home. Though I have a short haired Labrador and two cats, there is a lot of hair. We’ve got hard floors throughout the downstairs of the house, with a mixture of wood and tile just like you. We actually moved to our new home last year, changing from carpets being the main flooring in the house.

To combat the amount of hair just lying around on the floors, I brought the Soft roller cleaner head (UK site). It works wonders and really helps me to keep the floors hair free. 

If you are outside the UK, clicking on the www.dyson.com will take you through to your local Dyson site. From here simply navigate to the parts and accessories page for your market. 

Hopefully this suggestion can help you. 

Stuart

@vlollis. England sell wheels. Maybe they can help?

Website here = Dyson Cyclone V10™ vacuum parts | Dyson

Maria.

Userlevel 1

@Maria23, thank you for taking the time to provide wheel info.  But my wheels are fine. It's when hair gets wrapped around them that there's a problem (wheels won't turn and I waste valuable time pulling the hair out)

@Stuart, thank you as well. But the 966489-12 soft roller head  you suggested is the exact head I'm complaining about. The little wheels get clogged. That roller head came with my dyson cyclone v10.

So ultimately, I am getting as much hair off my dogs so they don't shed as much hair on my floors ...and I have a new pick hook to get hair out faster. It's still a problem and a waste of time but now not as much time.  Dyson really needs to correct this major design flaw. And if I keep popping the wheels out to clean hair off even faster, something is going to break. The little wheels are currently not designed to pop out.  Dyson, please fix this flaw in your roller head. Its so disappointing that you have a great vacuum but the little wheels clog with hair. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hello @vlollis 

You had mentioned that noise might be a concern when using the Groom tool on your dogs. One really nice feature about the tool that I love, is that you can actually brush your dog, without the vacuum on, and turn it on to “suck” the hair up the hose and into the bin. Have a look at this video here Groom tool in use

Best wishes,