Continous monitoring is on, but not working | Dyson Community

Continous monitoring is on, but not working

• 9 December 2021
  • 15 replies

• Rookie Member
  • 10 replies

I just bought a Dyson Air Purifyer, it’s been running for an hour now.

In the app, in settings (“Your machine’s settings”) the “Continuous monitoring” setting is ticked on (the little circle is on the right and has a dark violet colour).

However, in the main dashboard, I see no graphs and I get the message “No data has been recorded. You can check the status of continuous monitoring in settings.”.

How can I “record data”?

(Edited by moderator – tags added) 

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @mmm 

Welcome to the Community.

Great to hear that you’ve recently become an owner of one of our machines.

There is a brief gap in the amount of time it takes to update the Air Quality data shown on the graphs. This is down to your connected purifiers sending and receive data to and from the Dyson Cloud. I’ve summarised the time for both our purifier ‘Generations’ below: 

Generation 1 

One hour

Generation 2

Twenty (20) minutes

To read more about the information shown on the graphs, visit our ‘Viewing your machine's air quality graphs’ article.

As you’ve mentioned having the machine running for around an hour already, I’d initially suggest refreshing the App by closing it down and re-opening it again, and monitoring the Graphical information for the next few hours. If the Graph data is still not updating in around 12 hours, follow the advice on the ‘'Power Cycling/Restarting' your machine’ article. 

Failing the above, please @Me directly and I will look into the next steps. 

Hope this helps. 

Stuart

I’ve got it working now. It’s 17 now, and it’s been running since at least 14, but I restarted it around half an hour ago. I think that it needs to be restarted for that to start working. Thank you for your answer Stuart!

I have unplugged the device to move it to a different place, and it has stopped doing the chart again. It’s been almost 6 hours since I moved it. I think it’s not working as expected. What can I do to debug this?

I’m attaching screenshots. Connecting to the device works, it’s just the graph that doesn’t seem to work.

The setting is on:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @mmm 

Thanks for the follow up and for providing some screenshots. 

Continuous monitoring is set to the on position and I’d therefore expect the data to be being pulled through.

As the machine began to record this data in another part of the home, there are a couple of things I can think of that could now be causing this issue.

1. Does the new product location allow access to the router? For example, is it now in a room with intermittent WiFi? If yes, you may need to move its location to find a better spot in the home/room.
  2. It is possible that the Firmware on the machine needs to be reverted to factory settings. Please follow the instructions on our ‘Reverting your machine back to factory settings’ article.

Failing the above, could you please get in touch with our customer support team via their WhatsApp channel and explain to them that you have come through from the Community site. They will run you through further troubleshooting and talk to you regarding the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

Thanks,

Stuart

It’s the same WiFi connection, I moved it just a few meters. I’ll see what the team on WhatsApp have to say before reseting the device, though they have not answered yet since yesterday.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @mmm

I’d really urge you to go with resetting the machine as the first port of call.

By reverting the machine back to factory settings, we’d negate any issues that could have be caused through the connection to the local WiFi or even an issue with the Software version on the machine.

The Graphical data is pulled from the Dyson cloud, and failing both ‘'Power Cycling/Restarting' your machine’ and ‘Reverting your machine back to factory settings’, it could indicate a hardware fault. 

As the WhatsApp team is a direct line into our contact centres , in the event of the hardware fault being identified, I’d expect them to look at either arranging an inspection or exchange your machine. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

I don’t think that the factory reset procedure works. The wifi icon blinked green after around 5 seconds and then nothing happened, there was no countdown. After restarting and reconnecting, I noticed that the settings have been preserved.

I want to warn other Dyson users against the WhatsApp support. It took them a day to respond, and then a whole day of back and forth of asking for my personal data, like phone number, home address, real name. When asked “why?” they enigmantically responded “for GDPR”. They asked for my device ID three times, and I provided it three times - responding as slow as a human and having the comprehension ability of a chatbot from the 90s. Then the day came to an end, and now it’s the weekend.

They do operate on Saturdays, but only left me a message that they won’t support me, because I live in Poland, without suggesting what else I can do. I feel that we spent more time on this than it would have taken to fix the problem.

Don’t waste your time with Dyson WhatsApp support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @mmm 

This is a great bit of feedback, thank you for highlighting it.

Whilst the Community Concept is new to Dyson and we are still in our initial stage of launching and growing the platform, it’s key that we highlight points of improvement early on. 

I’ll reach out to the Contact Centre's management team, highlighting your comments and collaborating with them to implement new practices, so next time we get it right. 

If you could drop me a PM (Private Message) with your machines serial number, I’ll make sure this is passed onto the team. 

In terms of GDPR, as our owners data is stored on a secure management system, we do need to pass this to access their account information and where necessary ensure the address information is right. This is very important should we need to arrange replacements, repairs and/or any parts. In light of your comments, it sounds like this service needs to be streamlined. I’ll add this as a discussion point for our next internal meeting. 

Should you still need assistance, please reach out to our contact centre through a different channel. Visit our Support page on www.Dyson.co.uk/support. Choosing the phone option would be my recommendation. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, your input is very helpful. But your WhatsApp support is ridiculous, I don’t think you should be recommending it to people.

(Edited by Moderator - Removed image)

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

They do operate on Saturdays, but only left me a message that they won’t support me, because I live in Poland, without suggesting what else I can do. I feel that we spent more time on this than it would have taken to fix the problem.

Don’t waste your time with Dyson WhatsApp support.

Hi @mmm 

Thanks for the further comment. 

On registration you’d indicated you were in the UK market, which is why you’ve been directed to the UK WhatsApp team by me. 

Each of our countries have their own support function, and are unable to arrange support for other countries or send parts, arrange repairs and/or an exchange. 

Please can you visit www.dyson.com and select the local Support function. The Dyson.com link will direct you to the local Dyson site.

The local team will then be able to offer you further support. 

Thanks, 

Stuart. 

Thanks Stuart. I don’t see why my current place of residence carries any importance. The Polish Dyson department is “experiencing difficulties with their phones” it seems, so I can’t take your advice to call them. I’ll try their WhatsApp, hoping it will take less than 3 days and lead to somewhere this time.