PM 2.5 levels increased after cleaning HEPA filter | Dyson Community
Solved

PM 2.5 levels increased after cleaning HEPA filter

• 20 November 2021
  • 1 reply

My PM2.5 levels were around 71 and not going down .I was advised to clean the HEPA Filters. After cleaning with a soft brush, the PM level has increased to 121 and more. Why is this so?

icon

Best answer by Stuart 22 November 2021, 13:08

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @raj259iv 

Thanks for posting a question. 

In terms of the advice you’ve been offered, we’d strongly advise against this and anyone else following this recommendation. The filters are not designed to be cleaned. 

Read our Keeping your purifier performing at its best article for tips and tricks on cleaning your machine

In terms of the high PM2.5 readings, there are a couple of articles I can point you towards to help understand what causes the reading and to make sure your machine isn’t picking up a false reading. 

PM2.5 is produced by the likes of smoke, industrial emissions and burning candles. It is possible that your machine is detecting this level in the home environment and due to this consistent level it is affected by ‘Off gassing’. This is where a source is producing the gas at a rate higher or the same that equals the machines purification.

There are a couple of suggestions which I can make that could help resolve this. 

1. Check the local environment for sources which can cause this increase. Read our What are the common household pollutants? article to understand where the different pollutant types come from. 
  2. Make sure the machine is working at it’s best. Read our Keeping your purifier performing at its best article for tips and tricks on cleaning your machine and checking the machine sensors. 

Feel free to @Me should you have any follow up questions.

Thanks, 

Stuart