Dyson DC35 Battery Life / Diagnostics | Dyson Community
SPOTLIGHTED POST

Dyson DC35 Battery Life / Diagnostics

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi All,

Dyson DC35 Multifloor Battery lasting no longer than 30 seconds before flashing light and cutting out

Bought new battery charged till light went out on charger before use but after initial use same problem

Check battery with multi meter showing 20.8 volts Plug into charger again 20 minutes later light goes out on charger battery shows 21.9 volts and lasts just about 30 seconds again. 

I understand that once the light on the charger goes out the battery should be fully charged but to charge a battery is normally a minimum of 4 hours 

So do I have a battery problem or charger problem 

I know its not a blockage I have run the machine completely stripped down

I would be most grateful for any help or advice Thank you Peter

isn't tech wonderful when it works

(Moderation Edit - Category Updated) 

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

18 replies

@Anthony77 

I am sorry to hear about the power issue with your DC35™ 

I would recommend completing the below troubleshooting steps.  

Before your machine cuts out, does it make a pulsating sound like the one in this video? 

Pulsating cordless machine 

Cleaning your filters 

If, after completing the above checks, the problem with your cordless machine is still present or your machine is not pulsating, please contact customer support to further troubleshoot the issue.  Simply use the guides and manual link home the community homepage, choosing the ‘Support’ and ‘Contact Us’ option. 

Hey Peter! 

Been a while since I’ve owned one of these. I had to search the net to remind myself of the runtime. You should get anywhere between 15 to 12 minutes and up to 6 minutes when in Max. 

As you’re only getting 30 seconds, and you’ve replaced the charger, I’d say the cause is with the battery. They degrade over time and can just ‘pop’ overnight. Meaning one day they’ll be fine and the next they won’t. There are few articles on the forum that go into details on this: My Cordless vacuum cleaner’s battery isn’t charging, what can I do? and Understanding Battery Degradation.

The short of it is, you’ll need a replacement battery. These go for about £55 - £60 outlay.

You might want to think about an upgrade. I can highlight recommend the V8 & V10 😁!

Jay. 

I agree with @JayJay. A new battery would be a good option.

Battery life is quite unpredictable, as I’m sure you’ll read. Anywhere from 2 - 4 years is great! Above that is exceptional, but you’ll notice a drop off in runtime.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi JayJay Fishtown57,

Thank you for your reply's I had already bought new battery before posting my question same problem.

On new battery the machine ran for 4 to 5 minutes before cutting out suspect the half charge new batteries come with accounts for this although I had put it on charge as recommended to fully charge.

Now put on charge led light green twenty minutes later light goes out (recharge should take at least 4 hours) battery at 21.9 volt lasts 30 seconds same as old battery  voltage drops to 20.6

This is running the machine with nothing connected no filters hand held

So am I unlucky and have 2 duff batteries or is charger failing to charge fully

Kind Regards Peter

The cordless components aren’t that tricky to ID a failure, it’s usually either one of three parts.

It could feasibly be the charge. Applying a process of elimination, if it isn’t the charge and the battery is new, the only other cause could be the power disputation board in the handle mechanism. These cost around the same price as a battery to replace.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Agreed. There’s only a few components that make up the stick vacs. Replacing either the charger, battery unit or handle mechanise, or mixture of these should fix it. 

If you’re having trouble finding a part, give How to: Order spare parts and accessories | Dyson Community post a read.

The cordless components aren’t that tricky to ID a failure, it’s usually either one of three parts.

It could feasibly be the charge. Applying a process of elimination, if it isn’t the charge and the battery is new, the only other cause could be the power disputation board in the handle mechanism. These cost around the same price as a battery to replace.

You mean the main body right?! A little more costly than a battery in my opinion. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi All,

Thank you for your prompt replies

This morning I have put new battery on charge 10 minutes Led goes out

Checked charger when led on reading of 18.3 volt when led goes out no reading so not charging

new battery only showing 21Volt should be at least 22.2 volt for full charge

This would suggest that the charger is turning off before fully charging battery 

Good or bad reasoning any thoughts intriguing but frustrating

I am tempted to send off for new charger

Kind Regards Peter 

@Anthony77 The charger switching off prior to full charge could be an indication of the Battery Management System (BMS) taking over to ensure the unit isn’t exceeding capacity. 

You’ve mentioned purchasing a new battery. Is it possible that its faulty due to age/when it was manufactured, even if it wasn't used?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi CharleBoy1,

That is a distinct possibility how unlucky it would be to purchase

a faulty battery to go along with  your already duff one.

As mentioned batteries normally arrive half charged and you fully charge before use

Which I did battery then lasted 4 to 5 minutes suggesting still only half charged 

Which leaves me with putting on charge  LED going out after 15- 20 minutes

and the  voltage never showing above 21.9 when a full charge of 4 hours should show 22.2 volt minimum    Kind Regards Peter

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi CharleBoy1,

That is a distinct possibility how unlucky it would be to purchase

a faulty battery to go along with  your already duff one.

As mentioned batteries normally arrive half charged and you fully charge before use

Which I did battery then lasted 4 to 5 minutes suggesting still only half charged 

Which leaves me with putting on charge  LED going out after 15- 20 minutes

and the  voltage never showing above 21.9 when a full charge of 4 hours should show 22.2 volt minimum    Kind Regards Peter

The minutes are close to the MAX operation on this model of stick vac. If it isn’t in the MAX mode, replacing either the charger or handle mechanise, or mixture of these should fix it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi Eagles,

Understand minutes close on Max use but that is for a fully charged battery

only used on normal power so 4-5 well off the mark and of course will not recharge at all

New charger on way fingers crossed 

Kind Regards Peter

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So my new charger has arrived plugged into new battery on machine

The green LED light continually flashes on off   opposed to a solid green going out when full y charged

Anyone had this happen when Machine plugged in

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi All,

Follow up to DC35 not charging I had bought a new battery which after initial charge and use 

of 5-6 minutes was put back on charge, solid green led on charger but only for 15-20 minutes then out.

meaning charging finished but battery not charged.

Have now  bought a new charger which when connected to new battery on machine shows

green LED continually flashes  as I understand Solid green LED means charging Led out finished charging

Has anyone else had flashing green LED any thoughts?

Kind Regards Peter

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hello @Anthony77 

I'm not certain which part of the world you're in; I do know in the States and Canada, we have retired the DC35 so it may be tough finding genuine Dyson parts in some markets. All the lights on the machine both with the trigger pulled and when the machine is charging, are all diagnostic in nature.

If you see a slow flashing light whilst the machine is charging, the issue points to the battery. No light on the charger is usually a problem with the charger. To confirm, you can try plugging that in to another outlet. If you see a solid light while the machine is connected to the charger, that's an issue with the main body.

When testing the light on the machine itself, you'll unplug from the charger and pull the trigger checking for lights. A quick flashing light is the battery. Slow flashing means the battery needs to be further charged. A single flash on the main body OR a solid white LED and no power - both indicate that the main body has gone bad. 

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi Kellym,
        How nice of you to reply, UK by the way,as I found out when I asked  Dyson the DC35 is no longer in service but parts are available from Partmaster for any UK user interested

I purchased a new battery and put on charge the charger green  led remained solid for 20 minutes and went out I assumed full charge the machine worked grand for 5-6 minutes [not on max power] then flashing green on machine then dead all efforts to recharge the battery after that resulted in a run time of less than a minute same scenario solid green for 15 -20 minutes then out less than a minute run time

So bought new charger and connected to new battery green led on charger continuous flashing  which

as you have said may mean a duff battery when I put my meter on the battery after supposed charge

never reads above 21.9 volt and should after charge be 22.2 volt what do we think another new battery?                     Kind Regards Peter

Agree. As the voltage isn’t high enough for the charge cycle to begin, I’d say it’s faulty. Can you get a refund on the one you brought or exchange it? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi Kibbleb,

Have just this minute written to dealer asking if I can return battery for their diagnosis 

I also bought from the same place a type B battery for another machine  works perfect.

I,ll post outcome as we go along  Kind Regards Peter