Customer support - Dyson Repair service for cordless machines | Dyson Community
Solved

Customer support - Dyson Repair service for cordless machines

• 29 December 2022
  • 6 replies

Has anyone used the Dyson UK repair service for cordless machines recently and had any success? 

My machine is out of warranty and I’ve spent the best part of 3 hours trying to book the Dyson repair service via telephone, then WhatsApp and lastly via Online chat. Each time I’m directed to the troubleshooting guide and advised to purchase a new battery and new housing- total cost c£140 whereas the Dyson repair service as shown on the UK website is £99 (including battery) and includes all new parts.

I used this Dyson repair service several years ago and was completely satisfied with the cost and service provided but this time there’s a clear reluctance to even acknowledge such a repair service exists! No doubt it’s more profitable for Dyson to get me to buy new parts but if this is the case why do Dyson offer a set fee repair service? 

During my 3 hours of sheer frustration I was told firstly that Dyson didn’t offer a repair service, secondly the repair service wasn’t for cordless machines and lastly could I direct the support team to the page on the website where the repair service is advertised-  https://www.dyson.co.uk/support/repairs-and-servicing-information

I like my Dysons and one of the reasons for my purchase was my previous experience of the aftercare service and ease of obtaining a repair.

I’ve given up trying to book a repair and went ahead and purchased the items I ‘think’ are faulty but this involves additional cost not to mention the frustration with the support service provided

icon

Best answer by Stuart 3 January 2023, 15:50

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

What an absolute joke! Seeing as they advertise it online and the CM published an article on it last month (How to: Book a repair with Dyson | Dyson Community), you’d think this is something still on offer! It makes me wonder if this is to do with the postal strikes in the UK or if the staff member you got was just oblivious. 

I actually used the service back in June. Took about a week from collection to redelivery. They used DPD if I recall. It was really simply and I booked it via the telephone. 

Maybe one of the Mods in the UK can explain why this wasn’t available to you or anyone else at the moment?

Thanks Eagles. My previous experience with the repair service was similiar. I’m wondering whether this is an example of ‘upselling’ by Dyson support perhaps theres a commission involved with replacement parts so rather than offering the repair service they are more than happy to throw new parts at the issue? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hello @AndyH 

I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble with your Dyson cord-free. I’m US based, so I am sure our policies are a bit different. Normally, we cannot ship cord-free, air treatment or hair care appliances to our service centers. I do know we have some UK mods here on the community so I am hoping they will chime in here to share some insight on the policies there. 

More often than not, our cord-free machines rarely need service, since most issues can be resolved via troubleshooting, or sending replacement parts. 

Hi Kelly. My post is about the Dyson repair service advertised on the UK site (not a maintenance service)- Dyson repair of cord free machines is specifically mentioned on the UK site.

It seems as a customer I cannot book a Dyson repair without it being authorised by Dyson first and I’m trying to understand at what point Dyson will authorise their repair service?

Common sense would suggest it is something Dyson should automatically offer when the total cost of the individual replacement parts required to repair the machine exceeds the fixed price of the Dyson repair service advertised.

Dyson repair cost £99 (with replacement battery)- Dyson Website states a Dyson repair “includes labour and spare parts where required (excluding additional accessories and filters), which are guaranteed until the end of the machine guarantee, for 12 months, or until service support ends for your machine – whichever is soonest”

Total cost of my parts £140- the £99 Dyson repair is cheaper and in the circumstances I expected to utilise the repair service based on the cost difference alone but could not.

If Dyson advertise a service on their UK website why as a customer am I unable to access it and why are the Dyson Support team unaware that such a service exists?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @AndyH

Thanks for the follow up. I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to reply and hopefully offer some clarification as to why the team may have looked to identify an individual component failure, over that of arranging a repair. 

The Dyson Cordless vacuum cleaners design is such that when an operational fault occurs, either with the power or internal mechanisms, this can usually be tracked back to one or two component(s). To help diagnose the fault, the team will walk through a series of diagnostic questions and based on their input, the system will recommend either the battery, main body or both.

Based on this input, I imagine this is why they suggested the purchase of both parts.

Speaking to the local team, one of our Virtual Service Engineers would be happy to discuss this further and walk through any of the other options available to you, such as booking a repair. 

If you could drop me a DM through the Community Platform, I’ll arrange for a member of the team to call you directly. 

Many thanks, 

Stuart

Many thanks for the reply Stuart. Mike from Dyson telephoned me on 31 December to discuss the issue. He was unsure why the Dyson support team were not aware of the repair service for cordless machines. 

I’m still a little unclear why as a customer I was unable to request the advertised UK Dyson Repair service especially when this would be the most cost effective option for me? As said the total cost of parts was c£140 v Dyson repair service £99 (includes battery and all required spare parts).