Dyson V6's cutting out - Is there an answer that doesn't involve throwing good money after bad? | Dyson Community
Solved

Dyson V6's cutting out - Is there an answer that doesn't involve throwing good money after bad?

• 22 March 2023
  • 3 replies

I have two Dyson V6 cordless vacuum cleaners purchased 2017 and 2019.

Both exhibit the same problem. They cut out after a few seconds use after being fully charged. My wife cleans for someone who also has a Dyson cordless. It exhibits the same problem.  

The machines have had their filters cleaned, yet the problem persists. 

Wakey wakey Dyson. What are you doing to fix this problem for the probably 100’s of thousands of customers who are experiencing it. Denial of the problem is no longer an option. 

From what I have read online this appears to be a very widespread problem. A problem that Dyson appear not to want to take seriously. Lithium ion batteries should last more than a few years and should certainly last way past a Dyson 2 year guarantee. Nevertheless, Dyson’s response to this problem is not that they have an oversensitive cut out switch somewhere on their machines that needs re-designing and replacing on every model they have sold. No, Dyson just rub their hands together and try and sell you a new battery without diagnosing the problem properly. i.e. If the battery is charged and will run the machine for 10 seconds before cutting out then it would appear obvious that the battery is capable of powering the machine and does not need replacing. What needs replacing is the component that is causing the machine to cut out. 

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 23 March 2023, 13:08

View original

3 replies

Hi @Menhir  

I’m sorry to learn of the issue you’re having with your V6. 

All V6 machine variants will have a MAX mode run time of 6 minutes.

Using no motorised heads, the machine will have a run time of 20 minutes.

Using the motorised heads the machine will run between 14 - 17 minutes subject to machine variant.

Try our My Cordless vacuum cleaner’s battery isn’t charging, what can I do? article for more insight. 

Over time the machine will naturally lose its run time but the level of degradation over the years is very small. Battery degradation is not a fault of the machine. It happens to all batteries in everyday items, such as mobile phones and laptops. If the above does not resolve the matter, you would require a replacement battery. You might find the article below helpful 

If you need further support after this, please get in touch via our WhatsApp channel and one of our team will be happy to discuss the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’. 

I’d like to know what sources you’ve used to come to the conclusion you have?

I’ve had Dyson stick vacs for years, some I’ve never an issue with, where others I have. The expectation is that at the price-point of Dyson tech, they should last well beyond the warranty date, where in reality, only a small percentage don’t. The cause of this small percentage will most likely be with battery. This in my opinion is unavoidable.

Another member actually posted about this issue before and there’s a bunch of posts to help maximise battery use. Try giving these a read:

Understanding Battery Degradation 

How to: Maximise your cordless vacuum's battery life | Dyson Community

Try giving their online diagnostic a spin Support | Troubleshooting | Dyson. They’ll more than likely recommend replacing the battery. There really isn’t another option, unless you want to upgrade the a newer model with a more advanced battery/longer runtime.