V10 broken plastic flange | Dyson Community
Skip to main content
Solved

V10 broken plastic flange

• 26 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello, we have a 3 year old V10 vacuum, which has developed a problem with a flange on the main body of the machine. The flange should prevent the collecting chamber from coming off completely when emptying. Because this flange is broken the whole chamber comes off. Dyson have replaced the chamber which had disintegrated, free of charge, but are charging us for a new body for the machine. 
Our previous Dyson lasted 15 years without requiring any new parts and was still going strong when we swapped it for this model. This one isn’t overused as we have a Miele vacuum cleaner as well, thus it doesn’t need emptying more than once a week. It is a bit surprising to find that something has given up after the mechanism has only been used approximately 150 times. There’s no real way for the average consumer to write to Dyson. We have managed to speak to one of their advisors, but as it is out of guarantee, the best that they could offer was a half price replacement part. Is this what commonly happens?

Thank you

(Edited by moderator – Tags added) 

Hello @DavidYM

We are also an owner of the V10. Found it to be a fantastic machine, we brought it as a direct replacement to our upright. Baring a slight issue with the filter housing - We had a replacement part provided free of charge outside of the warranty. 

Sadly, I think it depends on the advisor you speak to, some we’ve had dealing with have been really genuine and have gone about and beyond, some just haven’t cut the mustard. They may fall back on the part breaking due to use, and it would be very tricky to prove it’s been caused by a fault. It is a year past the warranty they offer. 

We’d never experienced a part being offered at a discounted price. I would be hesitant to accept this. If they were willing to discount it, they should be looking to replace it free of charge, especially when considering it is a very critical part of the machine. 

Which country are you in? 

Hello @DavidYM,

It’s disheartening to hear that you’re having this issue with your V10. If you need further support after this, please get in touch via our WhatsApp channel and one of our team will be happy to discuss the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’.

If you'd prefer, you're welcome to call the Dyson Helpline to speak with our experts directly. You can find their number in the ‘Contact us’ section of the page.

Best wishes,

I do not think dyson give parts free after warranty has closed. 

Well, I will have to retract my criticism now, as I have received my second new part. This turns out to be practically a whole new V10 mechanism, my only original pieces are now the battery and the tubing. While I have had to pay half of a repair cost, I now have no grounds for complaint.

Replacing the unit was slightly fiddly as the holding screws were reluctant to come out. Fortunately new screws were provided as the originals’ heads were pretty much stripped.

Thank you to Dyson’s service department. Hopefully the new parts will keep going.