Humidifier - Humidity Issue | Dyson Community
Solved

Humidifier - Humidity Issue

• 17 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi Stuart,

I read of this on Reddit after opening my new PH04 a few hours ago. At first run, over maybe two hours, humidity climbed from 26% to 28%, and when it dropped back to 27% and stayed, I did a deep clean. I had also already rinsed the pump base cap — and confirmed that the evaporator was wet after that first run. In the hour since the deep clean, using the same settings — humidity target 70%, air flow 10, purify off — I’ve watched humidity slowly climb from 25% to 30%. It’s been some time now since that last jump between 29% and 30%.

I hope you won’t mind if I jump in with a few quick questions:

1. The pump base cap — how do you recommend cleaning it, and both its inner (hidden) side and its external side? Is this the only part of the pump base that should be cleaned?
  2. to paraphrase a piece of advice from Reddit:  if, after a run, the evaporator is wet, the unit is not defective; in fact, it’s trying the hardest it can. True?
  3. I’m running this in the middle of a very small living room of an NYC prewar apartment that is terrible as far as energy efficiency. Do you think realistically I should not expect the unit to be able to humidify the room to 40% humidity, if it cannot do so when brand new, and just after a deep clean?

I have health problems made far worse by the lack of humidity — among them, Sjögren’s syndrome, which makes my eyes so painfully dry that I can no longer wear even glasses, and psoriatic arthritis — and I can no longer work, subsisting on disability benefits. Early in the pandemic, I learned I had lung cancer, which worsens all, as I’m sure you can imagine. So, my brother bought this unit for me, as he has most things for many years.

That said, I won’t keep this if I can’t expect far more significant improvements as far as the humidity in the room the unit is meant to improve. My brother has spent far too much already.

Thank you much,

AT

icon

Best answer by Stuart 25 January 2022, 15:13

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @parables 

Thanks for posting a follow up question.

As you’ve said your machine is brand new, I wouldn’t have expected that there is a fault. However, there are several checks we can make to rule this out and make sure the machine in functioning as it is intended. 

Before we cover these, I thought it best to respond to your initial questions.

1. Once removed, the base cap can be checked for blockages on both sides. Depending the material that is built up, cleaning in water should be sufficient.
  2. Yes, this is correct. If the evaporator is wet, then it indicates the machine is pulling through water and dripping this onto the evaporation unit.
  3. There are certain factors in the environment that could hinder the machine from reaching a higher level of Humidity.

As the evaporator is getting wet and the humidity level is changing, even though it is somewhat slower than hoped, I’d surmise that the machine is working as intended and that there might be environmental factors that are hindering the machine from reaching this high level of humidity. Please review the following 5 points. These will help make sure the machine has the correct setting to reach your humidity target and that the environmental factors are covered.

1. Check that the Humidity is active and hasn’t been switched off by mistake. The current room humidity will show in grey, and the target humidity will be in blue.
  2. Check that the humidity level in the room is above the target you’ve input.
  3. Check the local environment. Make sure that doors and windows are closed, and air conditioning units are turned off during use. If new air in constantly introduced to the local environment, the machine may struggle to increase the overall humidity.
    • As you’ve set the Humidity to 70%, this is very important. 
  4. Check the machines position. Make sure there is enough circulation on either side of your machine and that it is placed away from radiators, draughts, and/or air vents. 
  5. Increase the fan speed and monitor the humidity over time.

If after 24 - 48 hours you are not seeing a noticeable increase to your room’s humidity, please do get in touch with your team in the USA via their WhatsApp channel. They will be able to run you through some further troubleshooting and discuss the next steps with you. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

Thanks, 

Stuart

Hi again,

here is the video referenced by my new post today, which isn’t appearing yet, but hopefully will soon, above — or below, depending on when approved!

Thanks again,

AT

Hi again, Stuart,

First, thank you very much for the quick response! It has been very helpful.

I am now on day 8 of trying out my new PH04. I have a few updates and more questions, if you don’t mind… 

I will be glad to take these next questions to the WhatsApp support channel as you see fit — it just takes me a long time to remember and I’m also very slow to type these days, both of which aren’t great in a faster paced live chat scenario. I thought I’d start here again, but feel free to pass me on where needed!

A new list is probably easiest?

1. Above, you wrote:  “Check that the humidity level in the room is above the target you’ve input.” — was this a typo? Ie should the humidity level in the room not be below the target I input? I assumed a typo, but can’t stop worrying!
  2. After I last wrote the above, I did the following:
    1. I’ve gone out of my way to check and reinforce the sealing of my windows — the only possible location in the room for new air to be introduced, made sure the unit is as far as possible from them, and that there’s plenty of clearance for circulation on all sides
    2. I ran a second descaling later on the same day that I posted my first message above
    3. I set the target to 60% instead of 70%, kept purify off, air flow at 10, and experimented with air direction, oscillation, and types of water (bottled distilled, bottled spring water, filtered tap, plain tap)
    4. I saw the humidistat on the PH04 peak at 33% later that same day (up from 26% upon first powering in)
    5. But in the 7 days since, have seen the unit struggle to hit even 26% when starting from 19-20% between refills of the tank
  3. Because I used to code, because the unit is behind where I sit, and because I’d need my glasses to see the on-unit humidistat anyway — using iOS/iPadOS shortcuts and helpers to automate, I wrote a thing to take periodic screenshots of current measurements vs outside measurements as seen in the Dyson Link app, and automatically make my iPhone/iPad wallpaper. Will attach in follow up post, since first post hasn’t yet been approved
    [An aside:  unfortunately, you can’t automate closing an app for security purposes, and it seems that the app’s outside measurements do not change until you close and restart, so when I’ve let my thing run on its own versus manually closing first and then triggering, it hasn’t been as helpful as I’d hoped. Hoping that Dyson’s app developers can add to a future update? :)]
  4. Today, the unit has been off since a recent attempt to refill the tank:
    1. Taking my usual precautions to keep the tank cap dry — and in particular the connection sockets — I filled to just under the max fill line. Until today, I’d been leaving a little less full
    2. Though, all week, upon removing the tank to refill, I’ve noted a few drops of water both on the cap, and under where the tank had been removed. I’ve wiped all immediately, and been overcautious about wiping all again before reinserting the tank 
    3. I have also made sure to turn humidify off well before removing the tank to refill, and often wait a few more minutes and power off first, as well.
    4. Today, while carrying the tank back to the unit, I noticed that water was freely leaking out of the middle 3 socket holes between the connectors [noted in attached photo copied from the web]
    5. Since I make sure the cap locks in place before anything else, and since I don’t remember seeing this when I agitated the tank to mix in the descaling powder — though I also had not filled nearly as fully either time, I brought the capped tank back to the sink, and gently angled it with the handle, just to make sure I hadn’t imagined it or not locked the cap completely
    6. I confirmed that this was happening and took a brief video, attached in post above
    7. Should this be happening? The two outer connection sockets are still somehow luckily dry. Are those the only two to ensure are dry?
    8. If this is normal, besides attempting to dry the three holes with paper towels, is there a recommended way to proceed? 
    9. Or, if not normal, I assume this is not safe to use from here? Could this unit have been defective since received?

So sorry this is so long! Again, your thoughts are very much appreciated!

Thanks again,

AT

Third post today, though main (longest) still not approved or appearing here. Extraneous, but fyi, this is a photo of the water level just before I took the video in post above.

Thanks again,

AT

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @parables 

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Due to the amount of interaction we’ve had and as they were on a conversation that has already been marked as answered, I’ve moved our discuss onto it’s own Topic. By doing this we will avoid responses getting lost in other conversations.

I feel like we are now at a stage where we’d at Dyson need to inspect your machine. This is in consideration that the machines humidity is not reaching the set target, with what you’ve highlighted as the in-home conditions being met and that the machine has water leaking out of the top of the water tanks cap.

Whilst we instruct that if this cap becomes wet to wipe thoroughly with a dry cloth. Making sure the cap and connections are completely dry before refitting. I feel this water leakage may be an indication to the machine not working as intended. This is even more so when taking into consideration the amount of water you have passed through the device to reach the humidity target you have.

With the above in mind, we need to advise you to stop using your machine and request that you contact our local customer support team. Highlighting our conversation and the recommendation I have given. They will be able to discuss the next step with you directly.

Using the Guides and manuals link, please navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’.

Thanks,

Stuart

Hi @parables 

Im sorry yo hear about your Sjögren's syndrome (we are suspecting my wife has it also) it may be rough sometimes 

we bought the same machine HP04 and we don’t see the the humidifier working. This is the second day and even though my humidity target is set to 70% it dropped to 49%

did you find a solution?