PM 2.5 increases When Fan Speed Increases - Why? | Dyson Community
Solved

PM 2.5 increases When Fan Speed Increases - Why?

• 22 September 2023
  • 3 replies

I have a Dyson TP04. I have recently noticed that the PM level shown in the display increases when the fan speed is increased. For example, when the fan speed is at 1, the PM 2.5 displayed is around 25. But when I increase the fan speed to 10, the PM 2.5 is around 60-65. Using an external air quality monitor, I find the PM level to be around 40-45. What could be the reason? Any suggestions on how I can sort this out.

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 22 September 2023, 17:21

View original

3 replies

@getparuThanks for your post. To shed some light here, it’s important to understand how the Dyson purifiers with Air Multiplier technology actually do their purification.
The fan is used to move air around your indoor space and through its sensors and filters.

Moving your indoor air through its filters are how the machine traps the pollutants/particles in your air, etc.

So as the fan speed increases, more air is moving through the machine’s filters/sensors at any given time, which would explain the variance in readings.

@getparuThanks for your post. To shed some light here, it’s important to understand how the Dyson purifiers with Air Multiplier technology actually do their purification.

The fan is used to move air around your indoor space and through its sensors and filters.

Moving your indoor air through its filters are how the machine traps the pollutants/particles in your air, etc.

So as the fan speed increases, more air is moving through the machine’s filters/sensors at any given time, which would explain the variance in readings.

I wondered this myself! Good explanations @Adam.Steinberg

@getparu If you use the auto option the purifier automatically adjusts using a ‘Always on’ sensor. You wouldn’t need to manually increase the speed or monitor it.