Purifier - NO2 sensor and humidity | Dyson Community
Solved

Purifier - NO2 sensor and humidity

• 10 October 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello

Really happy with our purifier but have found that on auto when opening the nearby outside door the NO2 will always spike to very high for a short period before settling down to normal.

This happens consistently and I have read elsewhere that this could be due to the sensor being confused by the significant difference in humidity when the outside air comes in, before stabilising.

I do not think there are big sources of NO2 in our garden and it always settles down after some time.

Does anyone else have this? If my theory is correct could Dyson correct the software to smooth this kind of spike out as it is annoying when it suddenly goes on full blast!

any thoughts welcome :-)

icon

Best answer by Stuart 14 October 2021, 17:00

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey @wisedroid this is interesting and I’ve already started to look into it a little more on my side.

I’ve messaged our engineers and developers to better understand the sensor algorithm used to report on NO2.  

So we could look into this further and check the data your machine is sending to the Dyson cloud, could you please update your account with your machine’s serial number? This is hidden from other users and only viewable by the Community team.

Thanks, 

Stuart

Userlevel 1
Badge

Brilliant, really appreciate you looking into it! Let me know if you need any further info. Added the serial to the about me section - is that correct?

cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Brilliant, really appreciate you looking into it! Let me know if you need any further info. Added the serial to the about me section - is that correct?

cheers

Hey @wisedroid 

There should be an option on editing your account that shows the Product serial number(s). 

Happy for you to drop me a Private message (PM) including it if you have trouble finding this.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ah found it - now updated - thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey @wisedroid 

I’m waiting for some more information on my side ( A couple of key team members are based around the globe, and I need to wait for them to come online).

Nothing you’ve experienced is jumping out at me as a concern though, so please carry on using your machine as normal. It will just be a nice to know from my perspective and yours on how this reading is calculated. 

And of course, if your theory is correct :-) 

I should have a reply at some point over the next 24 hours and will @ you once I have an answer. 

Talk soon,

Stuart

Userlevel 1
Badge

That’s brilliant - thank you so much for looking into this. Will be interesting to hear the result. Happy to do some testing if needed 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

That’s brilliant - thank you so much for looking into this. Will be interesting to hear the result. Happy to do some testing if needed 

Hey @wisedroid

I have an answer and now a better understanding of how our sensor algorithm work for myself. Thanks for prompting this question on the community :).

See my reply below:

The sensors onboard your machine have a programmable algorithm that compensates for a number of gaseous particles. Some of these particles can provide a false positive to other readings. In your case, a spike in the Humidity has reflected as NO2. As this embedded compensation is set at a steady rate, it wouldn’t usually be triggered in standard scenarios. Meaning, a lower spike in Humidity would not of triggered the machines reading and prompt a reaction. Unlike what you have experienced. This compensation to the algorithm is based off of a number of factors, including historic connection data and laboratory tests.

After reviewing the data your machine has sent to the cloud, the team were able to identify that the Humidity change is such that is breaches this compensation level, and therefore triggers a reaction from your machine, which is in turn is being recorded as a different gaseous source. NO2. As the machine is in the AUTO function, it reacts to this detection and increased the airflow. 

As the compensation level in these particles is programmed at build, it is not something that can be amended for individual customer circumstances. This means that in your case, when you open the door, as the increase in the Humidity from the outside environment is such, if it remains at the level it is, it will always trigger this reaction. As the outside humidity changes over time and throughout the year this isn't something I’d expect you to see all the time however.    

There are a couple of things I can suggest for you to try, such as: Changing the machines location in the home, away from the airflow of the door and monitoring the outside humidity compared to that of the inside. Knowing though trial and error the conditions on when this reaction will trigger could help inform the machines reaction in the future. 

As we continuously look to improve our technology and their effects on the environment around them, this occurrence has been noted by the team and will be looked at for future developments, in laboratory testing and further market research. Thank you for highlighting it as a use case. For now, should you wish to share any of the data you gather on when this triggers, please feel free to send it to me on a PM and I will feed it back to our teams. 

As this question has no doubt benefited the community by prompting a wider understanding on my side and allowing a medium to explain our algorithms, I’ve award you the Community Builder badge. This is given to someone that implement change across the community.

I generally hope this helps answer your question and has given a small insight into how our algorithms work. 

Many thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 1
Badge

Many thanks Stuart - a really detailed and interesting insight there. Good to know what causes this and yes I’ll try relocating it at some point soon to see what difference that makes. Fully appreciate not all situations can be catered for!

appreciate the badge recognition :-)

@Stuart Hi, this is Doran in Seoul.

I experienced exactly the same thing.

Whenever I open the windows, the NO2 value strikes 0 to 8 or 9.

I was shocked at that time. After that, I tried to find out what was going on.

Because I recently moved to this district in Seoul, I assume that there are several illegal factories near my home. (LOL… but I am not sure)

You can check my records on Feb 15, 2023. (I filled out my serial number in this account. I use)

Kind regards,
Doran