Can I use my Cordless vacuum cleaner abroad/overseas? | Dyson Community
CORDLESS VACUUM - COMMMON QUESTION

Can I use my Cordless vacuum cleaner abroad/overseas?

• 4 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

If your planning on traveling abroad/overseas for any duration and thinking of taking your Dyson Cordless vacuum with you, here is what you need to know:

Where the country has a different electrical voltage or where the plug design differs from that of the country the vacuum was purchased in, to be able to charge your machine safely, without risking damaging the battery, you’ll need to purchase a compatible charger locally. 

Purchasing a charger locally will enable you to safely charge your machine without running any risk of over- or under-charging your unit. It will conform to local electrical voltage and be compatible with the local plug design.

5 replies

I’m moving to Australia and it is 240v, but different socket. Am I able to purchase a charger in Australia instead of using an adaptor?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I’m moving to Australia and it is 240v, but different socket. Am I able to purchase a charger in Australia instead of using an adaptor?

Hi @Roseiz

The short answer is yes. You won’t be able to use your charger that came with your Cordless vacuum, but you can purchase a charger in Australia, that is compatible with your machine, and will safely charge your machine without running any risk of over- or under-charging your unit. You can find the charger available on their website here. Simply select your machine from the on-screen options and proceed through to view the charger. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

😀 That’s great news thank you Stuart! 

This answer is relatively clear, but I have a follow-up question because my circumstances are different.

I intend to purchase the Gen5Outsize from Home Depot because I have an unused account with them that I want to keep active.

However, I intend to use the machine in Thailand. Dyson Thailand sells the Gen5Detect model, but does not seem to sell chargers as they are not listed on the cordless vacuum accessories page.

Standard Thai voltage is 220v 50Hz. Many/most Thai outlets accept American plugs, so I am unconcerned about plug shape and only concerned about voltage.

Will I be able to use the American charger in Thailand? If not, how/where can I purchase a compatible charger? (And why isn’t the charger input voltage listed in the product specs at Dyson.com or even in the user manual?)

Thank you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@rsskga. There a blurred line here. If by using a converter or adapter the vac malfunctions, it may not be covered, although it might work fine. Have you tried calling/messaging Dyson Thailand? Some times their stock is different online vs store.