Serial number easily lost on Supersonic Hair Dryer | Dyson Community
Skip to main content

We purchased the very expensive $350+ Supersonic hair dryer probably just less than 2 years ago.  Yesterday it was suddenly blowing cold air only.  Chatted with Dyson and they wanted the serial number which is on the cardboard box it came in (who keeps those and what a dumb place to put it...why not on the oval storage box that you keep?), and also on a large hang tag attached to the power cord (which I’ve come to find out, the majority of people find unattractive and annoying and remove, as I did).  Apparently there used to be a serial number on the instruction manual, which I still have, but they decided to no longer put it there.  There is no serial number on the actual dryer itself.  Huge, HUGE flaw on Dyson’s end.  I actually never thought of needing to register the dryer on the website when I got it.  Long story short: “no serial number = can’t help you”.  They suggested driving over 150 miles to a Dyson service center.  Then I was told I could call another location for a mail in repair.  I’ve had Conair hairdryers in the past that cost under $30 and lasted years and years.  For a product at this price point I would expect more from Dyson and a more consumer first resolution.  Sadly I’ve seen thread after thread all over the internet sharing this same story.  Will no longer buy this brand and would urge others to purchase at your own peril.  Even sadder still, I’ve been such a loyal Dyson customer over the years, owning multiple products and to be so abruptly pushed aside with no offer of resolution is a big disappointment.

Hi @Jane O,

Welcome to the Dyson Community, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

The serial number of a Dyson Supersonic™️ hair dryer is included in multiple locations. In addition to the sticker on the power cord, it’s included on the outside of the original box, and on your order dispatch confirmation email if you order direct from Dyson.

We advise owners to keep a note of their machine’s serial number - as well as retaining the original proof of purchase, which validates the Dyson warranty - and to register the machine via Dyson.com or through the MyDyson™️ app. This ensures we’re able to help you in the event of a breakdown.

If our US Contact Centre team have advised that you’ll need your serial number to receive support, we won’t be able to override this guidance. If you’d like to discuss this further you would need to continue your conversation directly with them, as they’re best-placed to offer advice.

I’m sorry we can’t help further via the Dyson Community on this occasion, but I will be happy to pass your feedback along to the right people for you.

Jack,

Thank you for your reply.  As I explained in my post, the “multiple locations” for the serial number are: the cardboard box (tossed long ago) and the removable tag on the power cord (gone as well); and I did not buy directly from Dyson, but from BestBuy.  I have contacted the US customer care team to no avail.  I have already passed all of this information directly in an email to sModeration edit - personal details removed] but you are welcome to share it with anyone you wish.

And further to this, I contacted the Dyson Service Center in Las Vegas which is a “ship to” location for repairs and they said they don’t repair the hair dryers any longer.  They will send a new one if it is within the two year warranty and, if it is after the two years and you can provide a serial number, you are offered a 20% discount off of a new dryer or a used/refurbished one for $150.  So, with that, I will never buy a Dyson product again.