Disappointing Experience with Dyson V7 - Battery Life | Dyson Community
Solved

Disappointing Experience with Dyson V7 - Battery Life

• 12 January 2023
  • 3 replies

• Rookie Member
  • 1 reply

I purchased a Dyson V7 Vacuums Cleaner in July of 2020 and did not get to use it much (maybe 10 time or less). When I tried to use it recently, the machine just did not turn on. After going through (in my opinino) annoying process to talk with "a machine" with text, it was diagnosed that I will need a battery ($99 + shipping). Their explanation (after eventually was able to talk with a person) was "this is the nature of any battery" (short life I suppose). I disagree and I sure expect more than 10 times use for a $300 machine. So, I am now stuck with this useless machine as I do not want to add more money in a bad "investment". 

Any insights? Am I expecting too much? 

Thanks 

(Moderation Edit - Tags added/Category updated)

icon

Best answer by DavidTaylor 13 January 2023, 13:33

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @V7U

You’ve raise a very valid real world question regarding battery life, capacity and degradation. This subject is one that unfortunately doesn’t only reside with cordless vacuums but any technology utilising the rechargeable power source. I in fact recently posted about this subject. My opinion, based through research and my own experience with battery development can be read here (Understanding Battery Degradation). 

Battery failure is sadly unpredictable, and whilst there aren’t singular causes that can be identified as the culprit, in your case I’d surmise the lack of use, allowing the battery to fully discharge between usages and the potential storage of said battery could have been the primary contributing factors. 

David. 

Thanks Mr. David Tylor - now I know …. Regretfully I do not see any mention or recommendation in the manual for “what to avoid” or what to do when you know the machine will not be used for a while.  In any case, I am still stuck with a useless machine as I do not intend to be a Dyson customer anymore (not that they would care)

Thanks again 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

You’re welcome. I do believe this is alluded to within the instruction manual, when referencing storage. Agreeably, long term storage is something that is sadly lacking. 

Might you try sourcing a battery from elsewhere? This is something that isn’t recommended by Dyson. As it could avoid the warranty. As 2-years has surpassed, you wouldn’t have the need to worry. 

David.