Dyson Cordless v8 battery. Complete failure | Dyson Community

Dyson Cordless v8 battery. Complete failure

• 3 December 2022
  • 7 replies

My V8 battery has just completely failed, no warning at all, was working perfectly with no shortage of life etc, and had just stopped and won’t charged. I’ve message via whattsap and recieved a rather short and blunt “you need to buy a new battery” reply, not sure if this is automated or just a really grumpy staff member! 
but anyway, has anyone else ever had this? Just complete failure with no warning? Seems very strange to me

(Edited by moderator – Moved to a new category)

Stuart 1 year ago

Hi @Annamcastle 

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, battery life and overall lifespan can vary from one household to another. Various factors affect overall battery health and life, these include but are not limited to, how often the machine is used, the temperature that it is stored at, how often it is charged, how well it’s being maintained, and even how often the filter(s) are cleaned. When considering all these variables, we’re not able to place a guarantee on the overall life of your battery. However, Dyson provide a two year as standard guarantee against the Cordless machines at purchase, including the battery.

Having said that, batteries are replaceable, and when purchased direct via Dyson, will come with their own product guarantee.

To ensure that in your case, it is the battery that has failed, I’d urge you to review Dyson online support. Here you’ll find a host of selectable options designed to identify any issue and offer a resolution. Simple use our Guides and manuals link, selecting your machine from the options available and navigate through to the ‘Troubleshooting’ page. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Alright! Yep, this seems pretty standard for cordless batteries. Some show signs of ‘degradation’, where others just fail without warning. 

There is a similar post where the resident guru @DavidTaylor makes a really valid point on the possible cause and provides his opinion on the failing. If I were you, I’d definitely want to give it a read. 

Thank you for the reply and the link, yes seems very suspicious that so many batteries just happen to fail out of warranty, this funny enough has happened with all my dysons, and I take very good care of them. 
unbelievably I’ve just spoken to someone from dyson, who said if it was less than a year out of warranty they would discount a battery, but they say it’s over a year out of warranty. It is actually less than a year, but the person I was speaking to cannot work out the dates!!

Guarantee start date : 12.12.2019. Guarantee end date : 12.12.2021. So he’s saying it’s 2 years beyond that, perhaps he’s a time traveler from 2023

Think you either “popped” a battery or the board on top of the batteries has failed as I have discovered from various sites, that each battery has an inner cap which can pop leaving the battery dead.-a fail-safe apparently meaning the battery pack is useless 

also I suspect if you use the high mode too often the batteries might become warm this might be a reason for the battery or batteries to pop,-,a look on you tube should open your eyes as to how poor these batteries are. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @Annamcastle 

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, battery life and overall lifespan can vary from one household to another. Various factors affect overall battery health and life, these include but are not limited to, how often the machine is used, the temperature that it is stored at, how often it is charged, how well it’s being maintained, and even how often the filter(s) are cleaned. When considering all these variables, we’re not able to place a guarantee on the overall life of your battery. However, Dyson provide a two year as standard guarantee against the Cordless machines at purchase, including the battery.

Having said that, batteries are replaceable, and when purchased direct via Dyson, will come with their own product guarantee.

To ensure that in your case, it is the battery that has failed, I’d urge you to review Dyson online support. Here you’ll find a host of selectable options designed to identify any issue and offer a resolution. Simple use our Guides and manuals link, selecting your machine from the options available and navigate through to the ‘Troubleshooting’ page. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I read the warranty on Dyson, including the battery which everyone should have done when they purchased the product, and if it’s beyond the warranty (2 years with the vacuumI) just check it up and buy a new battery. A standalone battery purchased from Dyson has a one-year warranty.

Hi @Annamcastle 

Thanks for posting.

Thanks, 

Stuart

thanks Stuart, yes I contacted Dyson support, which is where the confusion came from when the advisor told me you get a discount if it’s within one year out of warranty or full price after the one year, but then couldn’t work out that 2021 was only last year!

it’s a shame that it seems such a common problem for what you would expect to be a premium product because of the price, I guess it does show you pay more for the brand not the quality!