pet vacuum filter | Dyson Community
Solved

pet vacuum filter

I have had the pet vacuum for a few years know. I have kept the filter clean (it never actually seemed visibly dirty) but I cannot get the dog smell out of it. Now if I even turn it on to vacuum sometime the smell instantly hits you. How do I get it out?!? 

icon

Best answer by Jack 30 May 2024, 14:09

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @CrystalPlant,

Welcome to the Dyson Community!

I’m not sure from your description exactly which model you own, but filter maintenance is generally very similar for all of our vacuums.

We recommend washing the filter(s) thoroughly at least once a month using cold water without detergent, then allowing them to air dry completely for at least 24-48 hours. Avoid allowing the filters to sit damp for a long period of time - placing them somewhere warm like an airing cupboard, by a radiator, or on a sunny window sill, will help ensure they dry completely.

If you’re confident the odour is coming from the filter, and washing it following the normal process hasn’t helped remove the odour, all we can really recommend is replacing the filter with a new one.

If you can let us know exactly which model of Dyson Animal vacuum you own, and which country you’re based in, we should be able to provide a link to the right part.

Hi Jack, 

I am not 100% sure it is the filter. I have cleaned it numerous times. I have taken the machine apart and cleaned it thoroughly and it still smells like dog. The battery also no longer holds a charge, so I am unsure whether I will be willing to replace the filter at. this time. Either way the model is DC-61 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @CrystalPlant,

Thanks for your reply. You’re welcome to reach out to your regional Dyson Customer Care team for some further troubleshooting before taking a decision on whether or not to replace the filter. If the odour was coming from the cyclone pack, for example, this would need to be replaced rather than the filter.

Please visit Dyson.com and click the round purple button to launch the Dyson Digital Assistant. Then click the agent icon in the bottom left corner of the chat window to start a conversation with our Customer Care team.