How do air purifiers work? | Dyson Community
AIR TREATMENT - COMMON QUESTION

How do air purifiers work?

• 10 November 2022
  • 1 reply
How do air purifiers work?
Userlevel 7
Badge +13

A very good question and one that comes up often.

We can do little to control what we breathe outside but with an air purifier we can help protect our health and wellbeing indoors. An air purifier tackles the pollution in our homes that we can’t see. Most are engineered with a filter and a fan – to draw a cocktail of air inside and circulate clean air back out.

Dyson air purifiers have multiple sensors that detect pollutants in the air, before filtering them out in two or three stages. A HEPA filtration system captures dust, pollen, ultrafine particles, and bacteria while an activated carbon layer removes gases and odours. In some of our later purifiers, a selective catalytic oxidisation filter captures and destroys formaldehyde.

Our engineers go on to answer this question even further in our recent Newsroom article. In addition to answering:

1. What is an air purifiers?
  2. What’s in our air?
  3. Why Dyson air purifiers?

Related community topics

What are the common household pollutants?

How Air Quality changes throughout the year

What is off gassing and what causes it?

Aren't pollutants just outdoors?

1 reply

An interesting read @Stuart

I naively wasn’t aware of all the particles in the air and their sources. Past turning the purifier on, I didn’t give it a second consideration. 

It certainly makes me think on the chemicals and ingredients in our household cleaning products, scented candles and deodorants we use. I’ll be paying closer attention next time I make a purchase.

Thanks for sharing. 

Kirby.