Identifying counterfeiter - Dyson Supersonic | Dyson Community

Identifying counterfeiter - Dyson Supersonic

• 20 October 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

I recently bought a Dyson Supersonic HD07 off eBay which was shipped to me from China. The product feels heavy, the accessories look solid, the cable and box have a serial number tag but I still have a feeling that the product is not genuine. I was able to register the product on MyDyson website without any issues. I did reach out to the customer care center and all they said is that if the device gets registered, then it's not counterfeit.

Can you suggest how else I can validate the authenticity of my product? I couldn't not find any proud issues with manufacturing (looks a little dull though) or anything to do with the logo or otherwise. Any help is appreciated!

Best regards

Dyson Community Moderator 1 year ago

Hello @colinsvjacob 

If you need further support, or wish to check and see if you’ve purchased a genuine Dyson and not that of a counterfeit, there are a few ways we can help. 

1. Get in touch directly. We’d say our WhatsApp channel is best for this. Here you can share pictures, purchasing information and speak to a member of our team directly. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’.
  2. Visit our Identifying fake Dyson technology and websites. This answers questions around, Why counterfeit Dyson machines can be dangerous and Have you bought a counterfeit machine?, as well as providing a way to reporting suspicious machines.

If you'd prefer, you're welcome to call the Dyson Helpline to speak with our experts directly. You can find their number in the ‘Contact us’ section of the page.

Best wishes,

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

If the serial has been accepted by the website and you’ve been able to claim ownership, I’d be inclined to say it is legitimate. In the event it breaks down, Dyson have activated your warranty. They’d either have to repair or replace. 

If you were still concerned over the authenticity, there are a few components on my checklist. I’d start with the plug and cable. 

I wouldn’t expect counterfeiters to have the same electrical protection as a genuine, manufactured by Dyson product. I’d be checking the plug for signs of tampering and/or oversized components. 

As for the cable, make sure the length is that stated on a genuine product. The specifications are usually found on their website. If this looks out of place, like it’s been repaired, it could be fake. 

If all that seems legitimate, check the noise when it’s switched on. Counterfeiters can’t replicate Dyson motors, so it would sound slightly different and may vibrate excessively.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Buying a product from a third party is always a risk. If it’s too cheap or too good to be true, it usually is. At least in my experience.

David. 

Userlevel 1

This is helpful, David. Thank you.

The Plug doesn't look fake and no marks of tampering- it's a 3 pin UK plug with a fuse, similar to how the Supersonic plug is? Cable is 2.8m long, I guess even that's the same as the original.

Unfortunately, I do not know how the Dyson HD motor sound, this is my first Dyson product in the Haircare category.

Thanks, David! I will keep looking for other indications. One thing that I did notice is that FILTER was spelled as filtRE and not filtER but then when I checked the product videos I noticed that it was spelled similarly which was very French. Otherwise I am yet to find anything that's giving it away.

Hi @colinsvjacob 

I am always wary when purchasing online, luckily it does sound to me that you’ve managed to obtain a legitimate machine.

My daughters taken her Supersonic to her friends this weekend. Otherwise, I’d upload a picture for you.

I asked that she forward me pictures of the plug and cable. She had suggested you check out YouTube for Unboxing videos - Apparently, they are popular. These should let you compare your experience to others.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hello @colinsvjacob 

If you need further support, or wish to check and see if you’ve purchased a genuine Dyson and not that of a counterfeit, there are a few ways we can help. 

1. Get in touch directly. We’d say our WhatsApp channel is best for this. Here you can share pictures, purchasing information and speak to a member of our team directly. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’.
  2. Visit our Identifying fake Dyson technology and websites. This answers questions around, Why counterfeit Dyson machines can be dangerous and Have you bought a counterfeit machine?, as well as providing a way to reporting suspicious machines.

If you'd prefer, you're welcome to call the Dyson Helpline to speak with our experts directly. You can find their number in the ‘Contact us’ section of the page.

Best wishes,

Userlevel 1

Hi @colinsvjacob 

I am always wary when purchasing online, luckily it does sound to me that you’ve managed to obtain a legitimate machine.

My daughters taken her Supersonic to her friends this weekend. Otherwise, I’d upload a picture for you.

I asked that she forward me pictures of the plug and cable. She had suggested you check out YouTube for Unboxing videos - Apparently, they are popular. These should let you compare your experience to others.

Thank you, @Fishtown57.

I did check the videos and pictures of the Supersonic on various platforms and I agree, the Unboxing videos on YouTube were quite helpful. There was one in particular which was talking about variants of plugs based on region - especially showed a packaging made for an US plug (oval one) but the plug on the HD01 was the round UK one. The cable looked fine otherwise. The filter had some manufacturing defects showing as well as poor quality paint on the buttons confirming the product to be a knock-off.

I looked around on my device to identify such issues but couldn't locate any. Maybe I am just over thinking but will do a final round of evaluation as suggested by @kellym before bringing a closure on this topic.

Best regards!

Hi @colinsvjacob 

Thank you, @Fishtown57.

I did check the videos and pictures of the Supersonic on various platforms and I agree, the Unboxing videos on YouTube were quite helpful. There was one in particular which was talking about variants of plugs based on region - especially showed a packaging made for an US plug (oval one) but the plug on the HD01 was the round UK one. The cable looked fine otherwise. The filter had some manufacturing defects showing as well as poor quality paint on the buttons confirming the product to be a knock-off.

I looked around on my device to identify such issues but couldn't locate any. Maybe I am just over thinking but will do a final round of evaluation as suggested by @kellym before bringing a closure on this topic.

Best regards!

Hello, thank you for an interesting topic, probably it interests many people around the world.  So you did the last check, can we close the topic?  The fact is that it’s even more difficult for me. I bought it as a gift and I can’t open it to make sure it’s real or fake :-/

Userlevel 1

Hi @colinsvjacob 

Thank you, @Fishtown57.

I looked around on my device to identify such issues but couldn't locate any. Maybe I am just over thinking but will do a final round of evaluation as suggested by @kellym before bringing a closure on this topic.

Best regards!

Hello, thank you for an interesting topic, probably it interests many people around the world.  So you did the last check, can we close the topic?  The fact is that it’s even more difficult for me. I bought it as a gift and I can’t open it to make sure it’s real or fake :-/

Yes, I am happy with the product and do think that I have used all my options. Let's freeze this discussion for now. Thank you all for your valuable inputs. Good luck!