Best cordless vacuum cleaner for low and high cleaning for someone with a bad back? | Dyson Community
Solved

Best cordless vacuum cleaner for low and high cleaning for someone with a bad back?

• 23 March 2024
  • 3 replies

I am looking for the lightest, efficient cordless vacuum cleaner in the Dyson range.

I live in a static caravan, largely carpeted (very short pile), but with several laminated hard sections (eg, kitchen/dining area). There are also many curtained windows, and high places (eg, cupboard tops and lights) that act as dust magnets. Oh, and not forgetting furniture (eg, settee and beds) and my car. I envisage using the VC both with a wand and without in about equal measures.

Hair isn’t much of an issue, as I’m not owned by a dog or a cat, and I haven’t got too much left to lose on my own head. 

I also have a bad back and weight (or lack thereof) is *very* important to me.  However, I’m willing to trade weight against efficiency and reachability (eg, to vacuum a mattress or cupboard top). And I’d rather keep wand/tool changes to a minimum (eg, when transitioning from carpet to hard floor). 

One question I have is “What parts of a cordless vacuum cleaner are included in its “weight” specification?”  I presume it’s just the bare handheld part?

The Dyson V12 looks like the best choice, but despite what the manual says, there doesn’t appear to be a UK-available up-top tool? Are there any tools that will do an equivalent job and are available in the UK? 

Any guidance gratefully accepted. Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Jack 26 March 2024, 16:00

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @NoOneReally,

Welcome to the Dyson Community, and thanks for your question!

From what you’ve described, it does sound like the Dyson V12 Detect Slim™ vacuum would be a good fit for your needs. To confirm, fully assembled with a wand and floor tool fitted, it weighs 2.2kg with the Slim Fluffy™  Laser soft roller head, and 2.4kg with the Direct Drive cleaner head. 

I’ve checked and the following Up top tool should be compatible with the Dyson V12 vacuum, despite this not being listed on the UK website: https://www.dyson.co.uk/support/journey/tools/971431-01

Hope this helps, but let the Community know if you have any further questions!

Many thanks for your reply, Jack.

I went to my nearest Dyson stockist and handled a V8, V10, V12, V15 & a gen5detect. I tried some of the competition, too.  The V12 won the weight competition, hands down, although the V15 wasn’t as far off as I’d expected. I could wave the hand unit around with impunity, whereas the others made their weights very rapidly known.

Consequently, I decided on the V12 and have ordered one, plus a Complete Clean Kit that contains an up-top tool (the shop confirmed that it fitted their store V12).

Many thanks, again.

Nemo

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @NoOneReally,

Thanks so much for the update - nothing beats some hands-on experience in making a decision, so it’s great to hear you were able to find something suitable for your needs.

If you need any help getting started with your new machine, or advice or support at any point, you’re very welcome to come back to us here.