Is my Cordless V10 Cyclone trigger broken? (Video Link Included) | Dyson Community
Solved

Is my Cordless V10 Cyclone trigger broken? (Video Link Included)

Userlevel 1

Power is cutting out while the trigger is pulled. No warning lights are flashing, and the battery indicates a full charge. I purchased this vacuum less than a year ago for my wife, so it should still be under warranty.

Here’s a video that might explain the problem better:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GTcyTryoeiBoL-Oc1M8kFVJroQOg6Oeh/view?usp=share_link

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 5 June 2023, 18:35

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @LG123

A very interesting scenario. Initially I’d assume this was the result of the succession of quick press/release of the button, which appears at the beginning of the recording. If it were, then a thermal cut-out is the culprit. A safety feature to protect the motor. 

If this is happening more regularly, two caused could be to blame. (1) A blocked or damaged filter. (2) A fault with the trigger mechanism. In both instances, I believe this article could point you in the right direction:

If you do discover the cause, I’d be interested to hear.

David. 

Hello @LG123 

Thanks for reaching out. It's always nice to see our members engaging. I thought I'd just step in and add to the information given.  

If the machine switches on and off frequently, it could be an indication of either a dirty/blocked filter or an obstruction in the machine affecting the airflow.  

I have included a step-by-step guideline for machine maintenance  here 

For ease, you can also make use of this article for steps on how to check for blockages on your Dyson here 

If the steps above do not resolve the matter, please get in touch via our WhatsApp channel and one of our teams will be happy to discuss the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’.  

Happily, these links will help you. 

Regards, 

Userlevel 1

Thanks! I’ll pass this info on to my wife.

Userlevel 1

Following up on this issue, my wife attempted to clean the filter (although it didn’t look dirty), and the same issue was still happening after cleaning. 

I ended up reaching out to Dyson support and getting sent a main body and cyclone replacement by Dyson. I swapped it out this morning and now it appears to function perfectly. 

One thing I noticed is the trigger on the replacement body doesn’t bottom out like it did on the malfunctioning one, which makes me suspect that the issue was related to the trigger somehow, or perhaps Dyson has redesigned the part in the past 6 months?

Userlevel 5

I’ve read that there’s only three parts that fail. 

1. Main body
  2. Charger
  3. Battery

Thinking, These parts make up 66% of the stick vac. 

Glad that it is still working again. 

I am getting exactly the same problem.

It didn’t appear until about 2 months after using the V10, then exhibited exactly the same issues as others have described.  Had a replacement battery from Dyson, ensured filter was clean, and then had new unit sent out.

All was ok for a few months and then exactly the same happened with the new unit.  Will just stop with no reason.  Will often start up again straight away simply be releasing then depressing the trigger.  Might go for another few seconds then stop, or longer for about 20-30 seconds then stop, or simply continue working for the rest of the cleaning.

Feels like a design fault around the switch mechanism.  If I hadn’t bought extra spares for the V10 I think it would be going back and getting a different make.  Shame, as it is a great vacuum cleaner but the intermittent working is a real pain!

Userlevel 5

This must be intermittent or isolated to a batch. I’ve had aV10 for 2 years. Never had a problem occur. Parts provided outside of the warranty receive a one-year cover - Dyson should replace free if you contact them. 

Userlevel 1

We have friends with V10’s a couple of years old. They have no issues. 

It seems anybody who bought one in the last year has a high chance of the trigger unit failing and cutting out after just a few weeks of use. 

They need recalling and a fix enacted. This thread is a longer one with the same issues. 

My V10 power trigger stopped working altogether in March this year so I ordered a replacement big body. This fixed the problem until recently. When my wife uses the V10 it regularly cuts out after a few seconds, but if I squeeze the trigger hard so it starts to hurt the V10 works fine. I contacted Dyson UK WhatsApp as the phone lines are down, cleaned the filter as advised. The Dyson adviser recommended a new body but when I told them it was only 4 months old they are now giving me the silent treatment. Any ideas how I can get the lines of communication restored. 

Hello @Stevo 

Thanks for posting a question to the wider community. 

Usually when your Dyson only runs for a few seconds, it may be 2 issues:

Either the filter is blocked, there is a blockage in the machine or the filter has become faulty and needs replacing. I have added a link to run a few checks on your Dyson here

The second issue might be power related and you have mentioned that you have replaced your main body already. If the main body is only 4 months old and was purchased out of warranty  - then you should get a replacement as all parts purchased has a 1year warranty.

The best way to speak to one of our representatives is through the WhatsApp feature, visiting the www.dyson.com link, navigating to the country selector at the bottom of the page and selecting the country. Once here, select the ‘Support’ option in the top navigation bar and continue to the ‘Contact Us’ section.

If you still need any further help regarding this, don't hesitate to respond over here.

Regards,

Hello Musfeekah, I got a call last night and Dyson are going to send me a replacement body against the warranty of the part I replaced in March. Thanks for your input.

Regards - Steve

Hi, Folks. First time contributor: sorry it’s with a bit of a moan!

It looks like this is an ongoing problem. My V10 “Total Clean” was purchased in March ‘23 and is now showing the intermittent fault described by others (sudden random stop - fully charged; no “filter” light).  And, yes, I have cleaned the filter (monthly) and I have checked for blockages all the way through the air path as far as the machine and instructions allow.

Judging by the above I’m not the first - are any community moderators able to advise on a way ahead?

Thanks! Jay.

Userlevel 4

Hi, Folks. First time contributor: sorry it’s with a bit of a moan!

It looks like this is an ongoing problem. My V10 “Total Clean” was purchased in March ‘23 and is now showing the intermittent fault described by others (sudden random stop - fully charged; no “filter” light).  And, yes, I have cleaned the filter (monthly) and I have checked for blockages all the way through the air path as far as the machine and instructions allow.

Judging by the above I’m not the first - are any community moderators able to advise on a way ahead?

Thanks! Jay.

Ohh! Welcome! You need to go on and contact Dyson to make a claim! They’ll probably replace the motor/handle component. Most electrical shorts start here! 2-year cover should see you right!

“”

The best way to speak to one of our representatives is through the WhatsApp feature, visiting the www.dyson.com link, navigating to the country selector at the bottom of the page and selecting the country. Once here, select the ‘Support’ option in the top navigation bar and continue to the ‘Contact Us’ section.

“”

I had the same issue last year.  They sent me a replacement part “Big Body/Big Cyclone Serv Assy Ir/S”. I think it was a refurbished part because a few months after, for some strange reason, the body caved in strangely.  It still works but not happy because I feel like I ended up with a refurbished machine since this part is the core of the vacuum. I didn’t pay refurbished prices. Also when i called in originally to report the problem, the operator offered me a discount for future purchase of any Dyson product due to the inconvenience with the product experience.  She told me to call back when I was ready to make the purchase and that the note would be in my account so they would know to apply it.  In December I called to make a purchase and use my discount but they did not find any such note. I thought how could that be possible, was I lied to by a Dyson? They pretty much made me feel like I was the one lying.  I asked if they keep call recordings as I always opt in for having my conversation recorded. The operator (Valerie) said she would pull up the recording and call me back,  I never received a call back.  I’m very disappointed with dyson overall.  When looking for new appliances, thinking twice before buying from Dyson.  Other brands are getting really good keeping up with the technology and my newest Dyson is not any better than my older Dysons.  It’s actually bad. Harder to clean then older models. 

Hi folks! The intermittent power issue is simply caused by a cracked trigger mechanism. This allows for flex in the trigger when operated and hence will not always make the spring loaded battery switch every time. Just look up V10 replacement trigger on Amazon and you will discover you can obtain an aftermarket much stronger version.https://amzn.eu/d/ePBVU8D

It is a simple and cheap fix.  Look up V10 trigger replacement on You Tube and this will walk you through the steps.

Don’t let Dyson tell you it’s filters or batteries! This is a vulnerable red plastic part that is not built to last!

Hope this helps!