Dyson Big Ball animal and allergy vacuum issues | Dyson Community

Dyson Big Ball animal and allergy vacuum issues

• 17 June 2023
  • 1 reply

I purchased my dyson big ball animal and allergy vacuum cleaner a few years ago.  My home is carpeted throughout and I have birds.  This vacuum has several issues I wish I had known about before I purchased it becasue I would not have purchased it.  I have severe allergies by the way which was part of my decision to purchase this item. 

First off, I am old. The vacuum is very heavy and difficult to maneuver for an old lady with arthritis. 

Second, I really liked the idea of not having to change the filter in the ball. 

What isn’t mentioned is there is a filter in the plastic bin that holds the stuff you vacuum in.  The dyson has great suction and I usually end up with a lot of dust in the bin.  However, the vacuum clogs easily, and the little filter going around inside the bin fills with dust quickly, and then the vaccuum suction stops working.  I vacuumed three rooms today, just lighly, and that darn filter kept clogging up.  It is a pain to constantly have to dismantle the bin not only from the vacuum but from its holder and clean this tiny filter.  Also, the attachment that runs over the carpet gets clogged with all the dust you vacuum up and you have to dismantle and clean this thing.  Folks, this is NOT an easy vaccuum to use as you have to frequently take it apart and put it back together to clean stuff out, spilling forth dust particles thus defeating the allergy part of the vacuum.  Also, if you have birds, they will be messy and lose feathers constantly. 

This vacuum HATES vacuuming feathers, and again keeps clogging up, even though  the feathers are tiny tiny feathers.  Buyer beware.  I finally had to buy a good shop Vac and this works better  than the expensive dyson for my birds messiness.  So, Dyson, good for dust pick up from carpet; bad for allergies due to having to dismantle and clean the thing, bad for bird type animals.

(Edited by moderator – Edited in line with Community Guidelines)

Anonymous 10 months ago

Hi @Birdie owner 

We’re sorry to hear that this has been such a frustrating experience for you.

To maintain optimal performance, the machine’s filter(s) should be washed at least once every 3 months. I have attached an article below that gives instructions on the filter maintenance, including a step-by-step guide. This should provide further support and guidance to help you get the machine working as expected.

Although we advise washing components every 3 months, in your instance this may bee to happen sooner. Especially if your encountering blockages more regularly.

Understanding what’s causing the blockage will be key. If it is caused by the bird feathers being caught or sticking to the other dust and other debris, then you may need to consider how these are collected. Maybe the wand function would be best over the cleaner head. This we leave to you to decide. 

Information on cleaning the filters can be found on the corresponding link - Cleaning the filter(s) on your corded vacuum cleaner

Best wishes, 

Jodey

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

1 reply

Hi @Birdie owner 

We’re sorry to hear that this has been such a frustrating experience for you.

To maintain optimal performance, the machine’s filter(s) should be washed at least once every 3 months. I have attached an article below that gives instructions on the filter maintenance, including a step-by-step guide. This should provide further support and guidance to help you get the machine working as expected.

Although we advise washing components every 3 months, in your instance this may bee to happen sooner. Especially if your encountering blockages more regularly.

Understanding what’s causing the blockage will be key. If it is caused by the bird feathers being caught or sticking to the other dust and other debris, then you may need to consider how these are collected. Maybe the wand function would be best over the cleaner head. This we leave to you to decide. 

Information on cleaning the filters can be found on the corresponding link - Cleaning the filter(s) on your corded vacuum cleaner

Best wishes, 

Jodey