The Cordless V12 Slim vs Pet hair - I am so frustrated! | Dyson Community

The Cordless V12 Slim vs Pet hair - I am so frustrated!

• 29 December 2022
  • 6 replies

I have had many Dyson’s in my past.  The last cordless I had was a V8 and it was a beast.  I just purchased a new V12 and it cannot handle the least bit of hair before it gets clogged and shows the blockage alert.  Nothing even makes it into the cannister.  If I have to pull out blockages all the time, what is the point?    

I don’t have a ton of pet hair either.  I have a full house clean every week with my upright so this is just for daily maintenance.  

Anonymous 1 year ago

God knows! We don’t even have the V12 here. It looks to be a smaller designed cleaner all around. I’d say that it’s just maybe not built for the amount of pet hair you’re vacuuming up.

They do have a tool that might make it easier! Hair Screw Tool. It might be worth a shot. If not, I’d look to return it and upgrade to another larger model. 

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hello @jc5950 

We’re disheartened to hear that you’re having such frequent blockage issues with your V12. You may find some of the tips in this article helpful:

If you need further support after this, please get in touch via our WhatsApp channel and one of our team will be happy to discuss the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’.

If you'd prefer, you're welcome to call the Dyson Helpline to speak with our experts directly. You can find their number in the ‘Contact us’ section of the page.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@jc5950 When directly comparing the v12 to the previously owned v8, it has numerous improvements. Most notably the suction power, running time and filtration. It does have a reduced bin capacity, almost half that of ever other in their cordless range. See a comparison guide here. 

The reduced bin size is why you’re finding yourself removing blockages more frequently.

The bin is not full.  And in fact the blockages occur every time.  This is when the bin has just a little in it.  If the bin were full I would expect there to be a blockage since the debris would have no where to go.  
This is daily or every other day sweeping with basic visible pet hair.  I’m just shocked and wondered if this was the new normal?

God knows! We don’t even have the V12 here. It looks to be a smaller designed cleaner all around. I’d say that it’s just maybe not built for the amount of pet hair you’re vacuuming up.

They do have a tool that might make it easier! Hair Screw Tool. It might be worth a shot. If not, I’d look to return it and upgrade to another larger model. 

Agreed, I’ve had the large animal ball for over a decade and the v8 cordless … I saw the v12 with the extended battery life and thought it was the answer to my frustration with the low battery life on the v8.

but who knows because 30 seconds into using it, I get a blockage message. I tear it down and there is nothing blocking anywhere. I start again … and get the blockage notification again. I take off ALL attachments and and hit the power button … and yet again the blockage notification comes up … there is literally nothing … extremely disappointed and wish I could return this machine It’s a very expensive adornment for the laundry room.

I am no longer a loyal Dyson purchaser.

(Edited by Moderator - Removed sensitive information) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Agreed, I’ve had the large animal ball for over a decade and the v8 cordless … I saw the v12 with the extended battery life and thought it was the answer to my frustration with the low battery life on the v8.

but who knows because 30 seconds into using it, I get a blockage message. I tear it down and there is nothing blocking anywhere. I start again … and get the blockage notification again. I take off ALL attachments and and hit the power button … and yet again the blockage notification comes up … there is literally nothing … extremely disappointed and wish I could return this machine It’s a very expensive adornment for the laundry room.

I am no longer a loyal Dyson purchaser.

(Edited by Moderator - Removed sensitive information) 

Hi @smilepnw

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Something doesn’t sound quite right here. It shouldn't be reacting this way, especially if there isn’t anything blocking or obstructing the airway. 

For peace of mind, it would be great if you could go through the diagnostic checks on the Dyson website. These will help identify any issue and highlight other areas where an obstruction might hide. To do this, click on our Guides and manuals link, then select your machine from the options available. Once selected, simply navigate through to the ‘Troubleshooting’ page. Here you will find a host of selectable options designed to support you and your machine.

If a fault isn’t detecting and the machine still reacts in this way, it is very possible it has developed an operation fault. If this is the case, our helpline will need to arrange a repair or replacement of the machine. To discuss this further, please call the Dyson Helpline and speak with our experts directly. Their number can be found under the ‘Contact us’ section of the above link. 

I hope this helps. 

Stuart