smell | Dyson Community
Solved

smell

• 13 February 2022
  • 2 replies

I have been using the new TP09 Dyson Purifier Cool Formaldehyde in my living room for about 3 months now. It now has a filter life of 91% but is already blowing out unpleasant rancid smell. It however still indicates that the air quality in my living room within the green zone or the auto target range. I place an open bottle of pure lemongrass essential oil in my house with the intention of killing germs. Is this the cause of the rancid smell? What should I do? Do I need to replace the HEPA filter now? 

(Edited by moderator – tags added) 

icon

Best answer by Charliebrown 14 February 2022, 12:13

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Hi @laivida 

A rancid smell could be an indicator that the filter has got wet or been saturated by the oils you left out. How close to the machine / filter did you have this bottle? 

The filters on the purifier aren’t washable. I recommend following the advice on the cleaning your machine article. If this doesn’t remove the smell, then a new set of filters might be needed.

Good luck, 

Charlie.

The filter life in the App won’t show if the filter is wet or that it has pulled in oils. It is a reflection of overall use. The amount of time you have the machine on and how many pollutants it records over a given time. 

There is an article that can explain how the filter life is calculated better than I can.

I agree with Charlie, if you can’t locate the cause coming from something else in the room, a replacement filter might be best. Have you tried removing the oil from the room and seeing if that makes a difference? 

pete.