No refund No fixing, just ask customer to buy new things in Hong Kong | Dyson Community
Skip to main content

ATTEN especially for expats, beware of NO REFUND policy (even receipt didn’t say so) in Hong Kong; NO INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY for Dyson products 

Key takeaways from my experience:

• No refund in Hong Kong even receipt did not mention the clause at all
  • Do NOT recommend to use Dyson products in a country different from origin of purchase
  • Do NOT try to fix it in other countries or HK as they will only ask you to buy new things
  • we wasted HKD1000 (c.USD130 or GBP100) on nothing and my product is still broken 

What happened in chronological order: 

• Bought my Dyson floor lamp in 2020 Nov in the UK with 5 yr warranty
  • Moved to Hong Kong but the lamp was broken shortly
  • As there’s no international warranty, I could either pay for repair in HK or bring it back to the UK to repair (it’s a big floor lamp)
  • We originally thought it was the adaptor that was broken, so we bought it from Dyson servicing center in HK at HKD750 (c.USD100 or GBP75), assuming that it could be refunded like in other countries in case it’s not the adaptor that has problem
  • After we tested the adaptor out, it is actually other parts of the lamp that is broken
  • Brought the lamp into the HK servicing center in July2024 for a check up for HKD280
  • After the check up, the technician told us they do not have the parts in HK so they couldn’t fix it. They suggested that we buy a new lamp from them for 25% discount if we trade in the old lamp
  • We requested for a refund for the adaptor immediately which was within 2-3 weeks of purchase 
  • However, refund request was denied by Dyson servicing center although the receipt has NO mention of “no refund” policy - we were only told to refer to the policy on Dyson website
  • At the end, we paid a total of HKD1000 for nothing; the adaptor will also become garbage
  • We are very disappointed with Dyson’s handling, will not ever buy anything from Dyson again
  • The Dyson staff in HK also did not know about this Dyson community, which reflects poor understanding of their own company

Hi @Flolamb,

Welcome to the Dyson Community, and thanks for letting us know about this.

As advised, we do not offer an international warranty. We do not recommend purchasing a Dyson product in one country for use in another, as this can make it very difficult for us to provide support in the event of a breakdown. Additionally in markets where the local voltage differs to the country of purchase, your machine may not work as intended.

The Service Centre you visited may not be in a position to refund you for a purchase made via the Dyson website. To discuss your options for resolution here, you would need to reach out directly to the Dyson Customer Care team in Hong Kong.

To get in touch and discuss this further, you can find their contact information here.

Thanks for the swift response. Also attaching the receipts of the transactions. 
1. receipt of the adapter purchased from  “Interface Technology Authorized service provider by Dyson” in Hong Kong

2. receipt of the check up with the conclusion that there’s no parts to fix 

I have already gotten in touch with Dyson Customer Care and that was their final decision - no refund according to their policy on Dyson website while the receipt (see picture) of the adapter purchased directly Dyson authorized service provider did not mention such a policy.

When refund request was raised, similar to your reply, the service center immediately referred us to the Dyson Customer Center whom I have contacted and explained my situation and they subsequently decided that there’s nothing they can do citing the no refund policy on Dyson website even though the receipt of Dyson authorized service provider did not mention such a clause. They advised I can either choose to keep the extra adaptor as a back up (souvenir) or dump it as garbage as they also don’t take it in when I offered to give it back to them for free. 

The nature of my job requires me to move around every few years hence this experience taught me Dyson’s after sales service is not up to par especially for international expats. Luckily I gifted my Dyson vacuum cleaner to my friend before I left the UK but I kept this floor lamp and other Dyson products that I really liked which has proven to be a mistake. 

This is also a lesson of Hong Kong Dyson’s  unreasonable no refund policy unlike other countries which Dyson didn’t even need to state the clause on its receipt to make it enforceable! This experience completely destroyed my loyalty to Dyson. 

Hong Kong (a former British colony) and the UK where I originally made the purchase have the same voltage and same type of plug. I have travelled and lived in enough countries to understand the differences in voltage in different countries. 

Hi @Flolamb,

Thank you for this additional detail. Here at the Dyson Community we’re not able to access customer records or intervene in individual cases, and we would have to defer to the guidance offered to you by the Dyson Hong Kong Customer Care team.

I can only apologise again if you’re unhappy with your experience, and I’ll make sure your feedback is passed along for you to the right people.