Is the V15 Submarine head cross-compatible? | Dyson Community
Solved

Is the V15 Submarine head cross-compatible?

• 29 May 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Will the V15 Submarine head be compatible with the V15 Detect? I have read that it won’t be - even Gen5 - due to the software and not the hardware. I spent £599 on this vacuum and it will be my last with Dyson if this is true!

(Moderation Edit - Title Updated)

icon

Best answer by Stuart 30 May 2023, 15:10

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @DD30

Thanks for posting the question. 

Only those products sold with the Dyson Submarine™ wet roller head have the software needed to intelligently switch between wet and dry cleaning. Previous software is not compatible with wet floor cleaning.

We don’t currently sell the wet roller head separately as an accessory. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

Userlevel 1

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for your reply.

Given the high cost of Dyson vacuums - including the Gen5 V15 you’re currently selling - why didn’t Dyson consider a software upgrade route? It’s really disappointing that Dyson markets themselves as an innovative company however can’t seem to enable a software update. I think Dyson should reconsider and offer an upgrade route - can you not partner with retailers in the UK and arrange an appointment service to do this? It feels like a massive con when the issue is a software limitation even though the hardware is compatible. I’m deeply disappointed and wouldn’t buy another Dyson as after the two year warranty it would appear Dyson doesn’t care about its customers who have invested a lot in the product.

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

Just a idea…

What if you made a inbetween piece with a hole in it. This way the old Dyson models can suck air through that hole and don't suck on the submarine part but still give power to the submarine part so it can just mop as intended.

Maybe i will design this myself and 3d print it.

Userlevel 1

Hi @DD30

Thanks for posting the question. 

Only those products sold with the Dyson Submarine™ wet roller head have the software needed to intelligently switch between wet and dry cleaning. Previous software is not compatible with wet floor cleaning.

We don’t currently sell the wet roller head separately as an accessory. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

“intelligently switch” you mean just turn off the motor and only apply power to the head, this is really nothing that ‘intelligent’ sorry to say… it’s a very basic/easy software/firmware process… I hope Dyson upgrade the Gen5 Detect unit to support this new head it’s really disappointing reading your post making it sound allot more complicated than it would be to get this new attachments supported… you control all components (machine, attachments, software..etc), you could make this work if you wanted to…. really not happy to hear that my less than 1 month old top of the line, very expensive Gen5 Detect Complete is not going to support this out of the box!!! Really poor form Dyson!!!

Userlevel 1

Can the Dyson find a way of updating the firmware?
I was hooked into Dyson with my V15, so I even bought Dyson hairdryer for my wife. It was probably last Dyson product for me seeing how much you care about your past customers.

I was hooked into Dyson with my V15, so I even bought Dyson hairdryer for my wife. It was probably last Dyson product for me seeing how much you care about your past customers.

I’m almost sure they won’t. 100,000 models world wide, it would cost more to update each one, then they’d get in sales. If they’re smart, they’ll update the tech in the newer bodies, that way people would just need to get a replacement body. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I’m almost sure they won’t. 100,000 models world wide, it would cost more to update each one, then they’d get in sales. If they’re smart, they’ll update the tech in the newer bodies, that way people would just need to get a replacement body. 

Agreed. The vast majority of Dyson tech is 2 - 5 years in siloed development. I doubt the team working on the standard model were even informed about this head - I’d hope they’d made it backwards compatible if they had. 

Userlevel 1

Agreed. The vast majority of Dyson tech is 2 - 5 years in siloed development. I doubt the team working on the standard model were even informed about this head - I’d hope they’d made it backwards compatible if they had. 

Disagree, going on your statement if it takes Dyson 2 - 5 years development (Eg, Sub head attachment)… the Gen5 Detect I recently got only just came out shortly before this new head, they would have well known about it long before this and it’s essentially just not possible it seems due to a software limitation? (Perhaps voltage but a compatible head should be made either way and really would not be hard)… 

Regarding the statement it would cost Dyson more to update each model, I also disagree… If Dyson wanted to they could offer a free firmware upgrade with any submarine head purchased at your local service centre… the amount they charge for a head is often multiple times more than cheap brands sell an entire cleaning system for including accessories/attachments/base unit..etc..etc.. so I’m rather sure Dyson has a fair bit of margin to play with and if customers just needed to pickup the head from the local service centre and get a firmware update loaded it would not take more than a few min at best!