Cordless V7 Motorhead Brush bar - Part purchase - 3 Prong vs 4 Prong | Dyson Community
Solved

Cordless V7 Motorhead Brush bar - Part purchase - 3 Prong vs 4 Prong

• 22 December 2022
  • 18 replies

Badge +1

This question is similar to the title to “V7 Animal 3 hole motorised brush head” which does not provide an adequate solution. The brush bar declared as a spare part is 4 prong, but the brush head only accepts 3 prong. I have bought a new brush head and it is again 3 prong. From a sustainability viewpoint, to purchase a brush head every time a brush bar wears out is unacceptable and I am surprised that Dyson has little consideration for a circular economy. The new brush head will be returned. There is no information provided by Dyson regarding 3 prong and 4 prong. but other parts’ suppliers advise that for the 3 prong, you have to buy the complete brush head. Since I know other versions (V8, V9, V10) of brush heads will work on my V7, I will have to progressively buy and return each one until I find the 4 prong version, I suppose. Or does anyone know which ones are 4 prong? Perhaps you could check your machines and let me know?

icon

Best answer by Dyson Community Moderator 28 December 2022, 17:31

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Joffrey 

I seem to recall seeing questions on this issue before, but it may have been another owner I encountered on another platform rather than here on the Community. Can you let us know which country you’re in?

Badge +1

I am in the UK

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thank you, @Joffrey 

This is the only brush bar attachment I see for the V7 in the UK BRUSH BAR. However, I’m not able to tell if it’s a 3- or 4-prong. I suspect support from the UK team would be your best bet, to confirm that the correct part is being offered. You can access live chat at the link above when you visit the site, and one the UK support agents can assist further.

Best wishes,

Badge +1

Sorry Kellym, but as I originally stated, I bought a brush head as the only way to find out if it was 3 prong or 4 prong and found it to be 3 prong. I have previously discussed it by telephone (and by chat) with the UK Team. All I get is the V7 information that I have already stated above which is not, in my opinion, a sustainable solution. Buying a brushbar which is 4 prong and a brush head which is 3 prong seems illogical. Hence my query regarding V8, V9 &  V10. Support does not recognise “3 prong” or “4 prong” so they are unable to give a reply to my query and yes, the pictures displaying spare parts are of no help. Hence my request to the Dyson community in the hope that people in the community are able to provide some useful advice. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hey @Joffrey

Merry Christmas! I am slightly confused by your statement of the prongs being different. Are you referencing to the electrical prongs inside the wand/connection or the shape of the brush bar connector? 

A picture may help me and other members understand the issue. 

David. 

Badge +1

If you remove the brushbar, the image as shown illustrates the connection between the brushbar and brush head. This is the mechanical connection that drives the brushbar. The opposite connection is at the far end of the brushbar so difficult to photograph. The image shows the 3 prong version.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey @Joffrey

This is a strange one and a first for me.

Assuming you’ve gone through the website to identify your model of vacuum, it should correctly allocate the correct stock and therefore the compatible components. These components should have the correct electrical pins for your model and therefore click on with ease. 

There are only two instances that come to mind where an incorrect part has been ordered or sent.

1. Through no fault, the serial number for your machine has been input incorrect and therefore an incorrect part has been allocated.
  2.  The part you’ve ordered has been incorrectly identified as compatible with your machine.

In both instance, the local team should be able to rectify this by running a check against your serial number. This will confirm the exact model and present them with a list of compatible parts. 

I recommend reaching out to the local team once more and rehashing this situation, asking that they run a check against the registered serial number on file and the one you have. As the team may need to see photos of the parts and the serial code, it might be best to start a WhatsApp conversation. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’.

There is one last note. Some parts are not universal. Meaning parts manufacture for other Cordless variants may not be compatible with your vacuum. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

Badge +1

Thanks Stuart. I've done all that. It still means the brushbar is 4 prong and doesn't fit my brush head despite providing serial no etc. And a new brush head is 3 prong. These prongs are the mechanical connection between brush head and brush bar. Nothing to do with electrical . Have you looked at yours?  Is yours 3 or 4 pronged and for which model? 

Badge +1

I would really appreciate if people responded to my query as to whether their dyson is 3 prong or 4 pronged instead of suggesting that i must be incorrect with what i am saying. I have done my homework with lots of communication with Dyson support. Knowing the prongs on different models , would really help me in going forward. I know the updated v8 brushead will work on my v7 - I took it to a shop and they did it for me, but it uses a different brush head and I could buy this as an option. However, they didn't have the original v8 for me to check so not sure of the prongs used. So how about some proper responses please? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hello @Joffrey 

I had to do some digging to find an answer for you, regarding the difference in the 3-prong and 4-prong brush bars, but I was able to find some official clarification. In December of last year, a change was made to the internal fitting of the brush bar. Externally, there is no visual change, but as you and others have found, all the changes were internal, to the drive assembly and brush bar. These changes were made to ensure we could remain flexible with the supply chain.

The original Motorhead had a metal drive assembly, and the modified assembly is plastic. The brush bar from the original Motorhead will not fit on the modified one, and vice-versa. As such, the original brush bar is now a service-only fit part and it can no longer be sent out to our customers. While I suspect that’s not the answer you were looking for, that is what we currently have to work with.

Our service team may be able to obtain one for you. Please get in touch via our local WhatsApp channel, where one of our team will be happy to discuss the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

If you'd prefer, you're welcome to call the Dyson Helpline to speak with our experts directly. You can find their number in the ‘Contact us’ section of the page.

Best wishes,

Badge +1

Thanks Kellym, 

Based on that, why does a replacement brush head not fit a replacement brush bar. Surely if you buy a new replacement part it should fit another part?  Still not a suitabke answer. 

Thanks Kellym, 

Based on that, why does a replacement brush head not fit a replacement brush bar. Surely if you buy a new replacement part it should fit another part?  Still not a suitabke answer. 

It seems like this change has left you with only one option. Replacing the head. Maybe they’ll comp you a new head. Have you asked?! 

Badge +1

I still don't understand why the brushbar cannot be provided as two options: a brushbar with 4 prongs for older versions and a brushbar with 3 prongs to fit the newer version. As I said at the beginning, buying a brush head every time a brush bar wears out is not a sustainable solution. It seems better to buy a v8 brush head that provides replacement brush bars. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Normally, when a change is made like this, supply will continue to be available until that supply is exhausted. Once a change is made, the older part will no longer be manufactured. I’m truly sorry for any disappointment or inconvenience caused.

Badge +1

It is not disappointment or inconvenience. It is a website with poorly provided information and a company with no consideration for a circular economy. Let's hope we see an improvement in 2023. My only disappointment is the lack of response from the individuals within the Dyson community. 

Hi 

I have the older V7 which has a 3 prong brush head all of the new ones have 4 these were apparently changed in December 2022, does anyone know where I can buy a 3 prong one as they no longer sell these on the website and if you want 1 you have to buy a complete head for £65 instead of just the brush head for £27.50! I do feel that these should still be available as if I were to buy a new car they would need to provide parts for the next 10 years for any repairs needed. 

In this cost of living era that we are currently experiencing surely Mr Dyson could sort this out for all of us that are struggling to find the part!

Userlevel 5

Hi 

I have the older V7 which has a 3 prong brush head all of the new ones have 4 these were apparently changed in December 2022, does anyone know where I can buy a 3 prong one as they no longer sell these on the website and if you want 1 you have to buy a complete head for £65 instead of just the brush head for £27.50! I do feel that these should still be available as if I were to buy a new car they would need to provide parts for the next 10 years for any repairs needed. 

In this cost of living era that we are currently experiencing surely Mr Dyson could sort this out for all of us that are struggling to find the part!

@Sarah1010. You’ll need to contact Dyson directly. They maybe able to locate an older design. If not, they maybe able to provide you with a replacement head free of charge. Worth a shot. 

If they can’t help, then you might be able to purchase one from a third-party site. List here: How to: Order spare parts and accessories | Dyson Community 

Badge +1

Hi Sarah, I agree with you. I bought a 4 prong head, cut the plastic end a little to slide out the brushes. I cut a small nick at the end of the 3 prong where the brush is located, removed the old brushes, slid in the new ones and used a bit of glue on the very end so the bushes didn't slide out. Worked for a year now with no problems. My solution to a spare part nightmare!